IMPLEMENTATION AND FOLLOW-UP
We adopt the following implementation and follow-up mechanism/strategy:
- Host rotational AU Diaspora Conference in Africa and in the Diaspora to review the implementation of this Programme of Action.
- Involve Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in the implementation of this Programme of Action.
- Request the AU Commission to develop mechanisms to ensure that the experiences of women, youth and vulnerable groups are taken into account in the implementation of this Programme of Action.
- Continue communication efforts to popularize the African Diaspora initiative and promote positive images of Africa that will create a conducive environment for investment opportunities on the continent.
- Take necessary measures to ensure the establishment of an AU-Diaspora Foundation/Trust to support the AU-Diaspora initiative;
- Agree to establish multi-stakeholder working groups comprising the AU, CARICOM and representative from the Diaspora in the following priority areas: Economic Cooperation (including infrastructure, sea and air links, trade and investment, and travel and tourism); Science And Technology (including the establishment of Low Earth Orbit satellite, and research in agriculture, biotechnology, renewable energy technologies, infectious and non-infectious diseases);
- Consider the possibility of setting up a mechanism, such as a Diaspora Consultative Forum that would support closer collaboration between the AU and the Diaspora community;
- Agree to set up a Diaspora Advisory Board, which will address overarching issues of concern to Africa and its Diaspora such as reparations, right to return and follow up to WCAR Plan of Action, amongst others;
- Further agree, in principle that the structures and institutions envisaged in this Declaration are established and operate in a streamlined manner, in order to achieve efficiency and value for all Africans on the Continent and the Diaspora;
- Explore various innovative and practical sources of funding for the Diaspora
Programme, to ensure its sustainability.